I’ve recently been inspired by a friend on Facebook, who posts something to be thankful for nearly every day. I’ve read articles as well that tout the benefits of having an “attitude of gratitude.” I’ve come to realize that this is an area where I can definitely use some work, so I have decided to compile a “thankful list” each month, with one item per day, and post it here at the end of the month. So, here we go!
Today I am thankful for:
- Naps. Even short ones.
- Jeans and Sneakers. Yay for being comfortable at work (and going for a 1 mile walk for National Walking day)!
- iTunes and excellent storytelling in the form of the CW’s Arrow. Wow.
- Fridays, and the start of the weekend.
- Music teachers: my own of years past, and friends & family who are currently music teachers. I wish I could list you all, but there are so many. All teachers are amazing, but music teachers have a special place in my heart!
- A long walk on the nature trails, mud included!
- The 20th post on this blog, and my 20th follower!
- A chance at work to actually catch up and have a moment to breathe for the first time in months. Even if it only lasted 30 minutes.
- A new shirt that made people at work smile because it is the exact color of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and Shamrock Shakes.
- Scheduling a visit from a friend I haven’t seen in too long!
- A quiet evening at home and going to bed early.
- Spending time with my sister at an amazing nearby county park.
- Enjoying open windows for the first time in way too long.
- A beautiful golden retriever who encouraged my people-shy Strider to (reluctantly) make a new human-friend.
- Doritos Locos tacos from Taco Bell.
****A little mid-month note here. This is harder than I anticipated it would be, and that’s even knowing it wasn’t going to be easy. There are days when I forget to check in on my draft of this post. Then it slips into 2 days, or 3, and then I have to try to think back, remember my days, and try to find something in them worth being thankful for. However, it is well worth the effort. On the other hand, I already know what I’m going to be thankful for 10 days from now!*****
- Packages that deliver earlier than anticipated! I’m especially thankful for this because it also means that a little surprise I have for my brother can hitch a ride with my sister who will see him this weekend, and he’ll get it much sooner than my procrastinating self would have gotten it mailed to him.
- The magical power of a laser-pointer in getting a stubborn kitty out from under the bed.
- The fact that my sister’s escape-artist dog always stays relatively nearby and always comes home.
- 3 watchful doggies.
- An empty tomb.
- Warmth, wind, and rain.
- The first tiny bit of feedback from my NaNo novel first readers. She was mad. This is a good sign.
- Home. That unique place where I can be fully myself. Bonus: Being able to watch Arrow on its actual air date instead of 1 day later!
- My nephew, Colin. Happy 3rd birthday, little guy!
- A hard-earned day-off, mostly spent catching up on sleep!
- Celebrating with family – Colin’s birthday party!
- Sitting down at Panera with the first first-reader to finish reading my NaNo novel! My faith in my little tale is being built up.
- A job that keeps a roof over my head, my car payment made, and food on the table/in the pet bowls, even though I have to continually remind myself to be thankful for this one.
- Spring showers and verdant grass. Also, thunderstorms.
- An apartment complex that gives back – I won a $25 rent credit in a drawing for paying my rent early! Bonus: finishing this post, since I’m overdue on posting anything here!
This has been an adventure. Some days it is harder than others to come up with something to be thankful for. As with most things, it also started out fairly easy and then got more difficult as time went on. It has been a good excercise, though, and I intend to continue in the coming months.
What are you thankful for today?